Work With Us
30-40 hours per week
Compensation commensurate with experience ($20 - $25/hr)
Plus Daily Shift Meal
East End Food Institute is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that builds partnerships among farmers, food producers, and food consumers on the East End of Long Island. Our members work together to create a more economically-viable, environmentally-sustainable, more efficient, and equitable local food system.
The Operations Coordinator is a motivated individual who helps fulfill East End Food Institute's mission to support, promote, and advocate for the farmers, vintners, fishermen, and other food producers and providers on the East End of Long Island. The Operations Coordinator is an hourly position reporting to the Associate Director, with significant interaction among all members of the team and community.
The Operations Coordinator works primarily with the Chef-in-Residence to fulfill wholesale client orders, complete Farm to Community produce orders, coordinate the Virtual Farmers Market, and work with the Associate Director to complete tasks associated with the smooth daily operations of the kitchen and related organizational activities. This position also interacts with clients to cultivate and steward organizational relationships.
Some evening and weekend work may be required, however most shifts will be scheduled Monday - Friday between 8:30am to 5:00pm.
FOOD PRODUCTION & PACKAGING
- Work with Chef-in-Residence to test, refine, and scale wholesale recipes, exercising the utmost discretion with regard to recipes, production techniques, and trade secrets.
- Coordinate taste-testing with Executive Director, Associate Director, and staff to approve recipes.
- Coordinate with the Chef-in-Residence & Associate Director to receive orders and schedule production, including ingredient and packaging orders, staffing, and delivery.
- Help oversee and implement the production of wholesale and co-packing client food products and ensure the highest food safety and quality standards are maintained throughout processing.
- Ensure products meet all food safety standards, including packaging and labeling.
- Maintain a sanitary environment in the kitchen and dish-room by cleaning dishes and putting clean items away throughout each day.
- Complete other daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning projects as needed.
- Be alert to food safety issues and commit to reporting and addressing issues as needed.
- Conduct regular inventory of packaging & shipping supplies, Virtual Farmer’s Market & wholesale products, ingredients, and other kitchen supplies. Coordinate with the Associate Director to restock inventory as needed.
- Make deliveries of products to wholesale & retail clients
- Pick up produce from local farms as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
CLIENT CULTIVATION & STEWARDSHIP
- Conduct research to update a growing list of possible new clients/sales leads.
- Coordinate with the Administrative Team (Executive Director, Associate Director, and Outreach & Education Manager) to conduct outreach to potential clients.
- Communicate with past, current, and prospective clients via email, phone, and in-person meetings and deliveries of products.
- Serve as a liaison between kitchen clients and the Administrative Team to address questions, comments, and concerns.
- Support in-person and virtual farmers’ markets and outreach events as assigned.
- When time allows, provide mentorship and guidance to kitchen clients on equipment use and product development. Refer clients as needed to other members of the team.
- Ability to work within a team to maintain the highest quality and food safety standards.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and excellent communication skills.
- Experience with food preparation or manufacturing.
- Valid Suffolk County Food Managers Certificate or Serv-Safe Food Manager Certificate, or willingness to obtain.
- Commitment to the mission of East End Food Institute, and supporting local farmers & food producers.
- Experience with recipe development/scaling, or production/manufacturing of food products.
- Knowledge of New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets and federal food standards.
- Physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs and stand for full days during production in the kitchen.
- Familiarity with the local farming and food community on the East End of Long Island, NY.
- Strong Spanish-language skills.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com