Food Production Associate
The Food Production Associate is a motivated individual who helps fulfill our nonprofit mission to support, promote, and advocate for the farmers, vintners, fishermen, and other food producers and providers on the East End of Long Island. The Food Production Associate is a part-time position reporting to the Associate Director.
The Food Production Associate works with the Chef-in-Residence to fulfill wholesale client orders, complete Farm to Community produce orders, as well as tasks associated with the smooth daily operations of the kitchen and related organizational activities. As we are a dynamic and growing organization, there is the potential for this temporary position to grow into a more permanent role.
Some evening and weekend work may be required, however most shifts will be scheduled Monday and Friday between 9:00am to 7:30pm.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with Chef-in-Residence & Operations Coordinator to test, refine, and scale wholesale recipes. Exercise the utmost discretion with regard to recipes, production techniques, and trade secrets.
- Help implement the production of wholesale and co-packing client food products and ensure the highest food safety and quality standards are maintained throughout processing. Ensure products meet all food safety standards, including packaging and labeling.
- Maintain a sanitary environment in the kitchen and dish-room by cleaning dishes and putting clean items away throughout each day. Complete other daily, weekly, and periodic cleaning projects as needed. Be alert to food safety issues and commit to reporting and addressing issues as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Ability to work within a team to maintain the highest quality and food safety standards.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and excellent communication skills.
- Experience with food preparation or manufacturing.
- Valid Suffolk County Food Managers Certificate or Serv-Safe Food Manager Certificate, or willingness to obtain.
- Commitment to the mission of East End Food Institute, and supporting local farmers & food producers.
- Experience with either recipe development & scaling, or production/manufacturing of food products.
- For applicants with a driver’s license and clean driving record, making deliveries with our van could be an element of the position.
- Knowledge of New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets and federal food standards.
- Physical ability to lift up to 40 lbs and stand for full days during production in the kitchen.
- Familiarity with the local farming and food community on the East End of Long Island, NY.
- Strong English and Spanish-language skills.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.